have always been my weaker side in wildlife. When I was young , I first time saw an elephant walking on road I hugged my mom and started crying saying ‘look at the beast’. My mom corrected me and said “That’s not a beast , that’s God”. From then ,my love for this mammal just grew. I have visited many wildlife sanctuaries to see how this magnificent aura looks. I have spent time washing them in Kerala, heard stories from Mahout. Here are some facts you may not know about Elephants. Also I came across some of lovely pictures of this mammal and compiled them here for #WorldElephantday.
This is my way to celebrate the special day. Hope you enjoy the same !
1. Elephants have sharp memories.They can recognize an individual even after not seeing them for years.
2. An Elephant can live for more than 60 years. Have heard that the oldest elephant in Taipei is around 82years in.
3. Elephants are widely poached for their tusks and skin. China is the one of the largest elephant poaching countries.
4. Male elephants mostly choose to live solitary lives, whereas female elephants lives in herds.
5. An elephant is the only mammal that cannot jump. They can swim and gallop.
6. An Elephant can eat more than 300 rotis a day.They spend upto 16 hours a day eating plants and trees.
7. You can identify an elephant by its toenails, its trunk size , and the texture of its skin.
8. An Elephant trunk has more than 45000 muscles. It is sensitive enough to pick up a single blade of grass, yet strong enough to rip the branches off a tree.
9. An elephant has the same physical proportion during its childhood and adulthood.Whereas human body do not maintain equal physical proportion during all stages of its growth.
10. The tusk of an elephant can grow up to 7 inches a year. They use them for digging water.